Kalimpong is a subdivision and a small and popular hill station of Darjeeling, West Bengal. The word 'Kalim' means king's Minister and 'Pong means Stronghold. According to the Lepchas Kalimpong means 'Ridge Where We Play'. The 1,250mt high Kalimpong is a meeting point of the once 'three closed lands'. The town is situated 51 km from Darjeeling and 78 km from Gangtok. The magestic mountain scenary and the abundance of flowers have made this place very attractive tourist spot. The place is famous for it's educational institutions, many of which were established during British period.
|The Beauty Of Kalimpong|
Attractions Of Kalimpong :
1. Mac Farlen Church : The oldest church of Kalimpong made inthe year 1890 - 91, by Scottish Missionaries. It is also known as land mark of Kalimpong.
2. Nature Interpretation Center : The Ecological museum of Kalimpong was set up in the year 1990. Peoples must visit the place for getting a fair idea about the wildlife of the hills.
3. Zang Dhok Palri Phodang 1976 : This place is also known as Durpin Monastery. The most thelargest monastery in Kalimpong which was constructed by Dalai Lama in 1976. From this point one can easily enjoy the view of the town and Mt. Kunchenjunga.
4. Lepcha Museum : This km away from the main town. The museum has various articles about Lepcha culture and heritage. From this museum one can get all the information about Lepcha worship, Original Lepcha musical instruments and other information about Lepcha.
5. Morgan House : The Morgan House is one of the oldest Colonial Bungalows of Kalimpong. This is a very popular and most visited place of Kalimpong.
6.Deolo Hill : The highest pick of Kalimpong, located 5500 ft height from the town is one of the fantastic hill of Kalimpong. From this point one can easily enjoy the view of Mt. Kunchenjunga, Relli Valley and Teesta River.
7. Samthar Plateau : This plateau is located 80 km from Kalimpong. It has the excellent views of snowy mountains, sunrise and sunset, exotic flora, forest, river etc.This place is very popular for mountain biking , hiking and cultural experiment.
Other Attractions are - Neora National Park, Lolay Gaon, Lava, Flower Nurseries, Pedong, Tongsa Gompa, Dr. Graham's Homes, Kalimpong Haat Bazaar, Durphin Dhara, Gauripur House, Kalimpong Cactus Nursery, Mangal Dham etc.
Best Time To Visit :
Kalimpong is most visited tourist spot throughout the year. But the best time to visit the place is Winter Season. During the winter season the weather of Kalimpong is very pleasant and one can easily enjoy the sightseeing of Kalimpong without getting dehydrated.
Hotels Of Kalimpong :
- Summit Barsana Resort & Spa Upper Cart Road, Kalimpong
- Hotel Garden Reach Upper Cart Road, Kalimpong
- Hotel Mountain View Kalimandir Phatak, Kalimpong
- Zambala Guest House Rishi Road, Kalimpong
- The Sood's Garden Retreat Rishi Road, Kalimpong
- Wiaba Village Resort, Kalimpong
- Hotel Mountain View, Kalimpong
- Hotel Garden Reach, Kalimpong
- Elgin Silver Oaks, Kalimpong
- Kalimpong Park Hotel, Kalimpong
- Reang Guest House, Kalimpong
How To Reach :
By Air : The nearest airport is Bagdogra that located 80 km away from the city. To reach this airport it can be take 3 hours drive. This airport is well connected with other cities of India like, Mumbai, Kolkata, Chennai, New Delhi etc.
By Rail : The nearest railway station is in Siliguri, 66 km away from the city. This railway is well connected with major cities of India. The second nearest railway station is in New Jalpaiguri, located 80 km away from the city. This two railway stations are well connected with other major cities of India.
By Road : This place has a good road connectivity with other parts of India. But the most comfortable journey is either air or rail.